Red River Gorge Backpacking Workshop
Red River Gorge, KentuckySeptember 23-24, 2017 10 Explorer Chicks
Have you ever dreamed of hiking to a faraway, remote land to spend a few days camping and living in the wild surrounded by mountains? We have! And, we want you to be able to live freely in the wild at your every whim armed with the skills and experience to do so!
We’ll meet you in the Red River Gorge to spend 2 days teaching you how to backpack with plenty of hands-on experience. With it’s abundance of natural bridges, sandstone cliffs, rock shelters, and arches, we couldn’t think of a more beautiful location to teach you how to backpack in the wilderness.
The best part? We’ll lend you the essential Gear to get started! Every Explorer Chick will be provided with a Backpack, a Sleeping Bag, a Sleeping Pad, and a shared 2 person tent. We’ll provide all of the meals beginning with Saturday lunch through our Sunday closing dinner at a Red River Gorge local eatery. As for the rest of the gear, you’ll be provided with a packing list.
- Explore the many Arches, Sandstone cliffs, Natural Bridges, and Rock Shelters in the Red River Gorge. Our planned route includes many stops at the natural wonders!
- Receive a hands-on experience with a small group of women guided by the Explorer Chick experts. You’ll be able to ask all of your questions, practice your skills as often as necessary, and get personal attention without feeling awkward or embarrassed!
- Borrow the expensive gear giving you the opportunity to learn all about Backpacking and the required gear before investing in your own!
- Spend two days meeting and becoming friends with a fabulous group of outdoor adventure lovin’ women!
- Optional day hike the Original Natural Bridge trail with epic views from Laurel Ridge.
- Eat Picnic lunches surrounded by the natural beauty of Red River Gorge.
- End your Outdoor Adventure with our closing dinner at a local Red River Gorge eatery. Go home with a full belly and a happy heart!
* Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Explorer Chick lends you the Essential Gear:
- Shared 2 person tent (Everyone will share a tent with one other person)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Camp Meals:
- Saturday ~ Lunch, Dinner
- Sunday ~ Breakfast, Lunch
- Workshop Closing Dinner on Sunday at a Red River Gorge Local Eatery
- Hands-on, guided experience from the Explorer Chick experts. You’ll learn everything from correctly packing your backpack, hanging a bear bag, setting up camp, backcountry cooking, Leave No Trace, and much more.
- Explorer Chick Backpacking Field Guide: A complete text will all of the material covered in the workshop plus room for taking notes
- Small Group ~ Never more than 10 Explorer Chicks to give you a truly personal, hands-on experience
- Small Guide to Explorer Chick Ratio – Never more than 5 Chicks per guide
- Explorer Chick Tank Top
- Permit Fees
- Shared Items: Tents, Camp Stove, First Aid Kit
*You will receive a packing list of items when you book your workshop which will include personal clothing, trail shoes, a headlamp, rain gear, and more.
Explorer Chicks are responsible for their own transportation to/from the Red River Gorge. Plan to arrive to the designated Trail Head early Saturday morning and depart the Red River Gorge late afternoon Sunday. We will send you the trail head location and directions shortly before your workshop arrival.
You will be responsible for traveling from the Trail Head to the Natural Bridge day hike and closing dinner on Sunday. Both are located in the Red River Gorge vicinity.
There are several hotels in the area for an overnight stay in Red River Gorge. If you are flying, Lexington is the closest airport with an approximate 1 hour drive to the Red River Gorge. Please contact us directly if you want assistance in arranging extended stays.
We will make every effort to help coordinate car pools for Explorer Chicks traveling from the same area.
Approximate Driving Times to the Red River Gorge:
Cincinnati, OH – 2 hours
Dayton, OH – 2:45 hours
Columbus, OH – 3:30 hours
Lexington, KY – 1 hour
Louisville, KY – 2 hours
Indianapolis, IN – 3:30 hours
Pittsburgh, PA – 6 hours
Nashville, TN – 4 hours
Atlanta, GA – 6 hours
Charleston, WV – 2:45 hours
Activity Level – Moderate
Backpacking differs greatly from casual day hiking and trail running in local parks. We want all Explorer Chicks to enjoy their backpacking experience which is why we find it crucial to set realistic expectations for this workshop.
We will hike a loop that is just over 6 miles round trip with our backpacks setting up camp approximately 4 miles into our hike. What makes the Red River Gorge absolutely breathtaking also makes it’s trails steep and strenuous at times. It is a gorge after all! You will be hiking some steep sections with a backpack. Expect to carry approximately 25 pounds on your back. You will be responsible for carrying your own pack, assigned gear, and necessities.
When planning the route, we take into consideration the variety of skill and abilities of the women joining us on the adventure allowing ample time to reach camp and to instruct. Keep in mind we will hike together as a group. The pace of the trip will vary based on the group’s overall abilities.
Please realistically assess your own abilities before booking this trip. It is for both your’s and the group’s safety and enjoyment. Email us directly if you are unsure if this trip is right for you.
$329 (Early Bird)
$349 (After July 1)
Non-Refundable Deposit: $100 due at booking
Final Day to Register and Full Balance due: September 14, 2016
The stated deposit is due at the time of registration. Your spot is on the Adventure is not reserved until we receive your deposit. The deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. The remaining final balance is due 60 days prior to the first day of the retreat.
Your final price is determined by the date the deposit is paid.
You will receive an invoice via email after placing your reservation with payment instructions. We accept all major credit cards and checks. All discounts will be reflected on your invoice.
You will receive a second email with all waivers and any additional information we may require for your trip.
Explorer Chick wants nothing more than for you to escape on one of our adventures. However, we understand emergencies do occur that may cause you to cancel your reservation. Our cancellation policy is as follows:
The deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Cancellation notices given at least 61 days in advance of the trip, will receive a Full Refund, less the deposit.
Cancellation notices gives between 60 and 31 days in advance of the trip will receive a 50% Refund, less the deposit.
There will be no refunds given for any cancellation notices given within 30 days of a trip.
No exceptions will be granted to our Cancellation policy.
We reserve the right to cancel trips with inadequate participant attendance, in which case all money paid to Explorer Chick Adventure Co, Inc will be fully refunded. Explorer Chick Adventure Co, Inc. CANNOT be held responsible for any personal expenses, such as airline tickets due to changes in itineraries or tour cancellations.
We strongly encourage you to purchase Traveler Protection Insurance.
Travel Insurance is available from WorldNomads.com