Belle Isle Kayak & Clean-up in Detroit
Join Explorer Chick for a Private and Exclusive Women-Only Belle Isle Kayak & Clean-up in Detroit!
Belle Isle, the jewel of Detroit’s riverfront, has been central to the city landscape for more than a century. Originally called Hog Island by French explorers, the island park in the middle of the Detroit River is now an oasis for recreation. It is the nation’s largest city island park and was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, architect of New York’s Central Park. Olmested’s hand is evident in the architecture found amid the willow trees, nature trails, canals, picnic areas, playgrounds, and fishing docks that dot the island.
While on the Isle, walk over to the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory to see exotic and rare collections of plants from around the world. It is the oldest continually-running conservatory in the United States and is divided into five distinct sections: the Palm House, the Tropical House, the Cactus House, a sunken Fernery, and the Show House.
Belle Isle was also home to a zoo that was opened in 1895 and closed in 2002. Now, the State of Michigan controls Belle Isle under a 30-year lease agreement and it is a state park. Right now, the former zoo portion is patrolled for safety keeping curious wanderers at bay.
On the Tour, we will launch from the Flynn Pavilion on Belle Isle Park. We will paddle on Lake Tacoma and the interior canals of the island. Enjoy the view of the Detroit and Windsor skylines in contrast to the natural views of Belle Isle.
Because of the efforts from people just like you, the Detroit and Rouge have bounced back from a long history of industrial use and what seemed to be an inevitable environmental fallout. Although still designated an “area of concern” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, even environmentalists agree they’ve come a long way in recent decades. Dramatic pollution prevention, cleanup, and conservation have made the area one of the most impressive environmental recoveries in North America! 💪
- Guided Kayak Tour launching from Belle Island
- Learn the history of our nation’s largest city island park
- Paddle through the historic Detroit Yacht Club, Detroit Boat Club, and Livingstone Memorial Lighthouse
- Enjoy the Impressive views of Detroit and Windsor skylines
- Help do our part to clean up America’s waterways!
- Exclusive and Private Explorer Chick, small group, women only event. Enjoy more fun She-Nanigans with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- 2-hour Guided Tour around Belle Isle
- Life Jacket
- Trash collection materials
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
*Tipping your Guide is optional and not included in the price of your adventure. We recommend 10-20%.
Why aren’t gratuities included in the event price? Allowing Guides/Instructor’s to accept tips is customary in the tour industry and for good reason. Explorer Chicks enjoy the opportunity to recognize their Instructors personally.
- Check-in Time: 30 minutes prior to the start time
- Duration: 2 Hours
- Women-Only, 21+
- If poor weather, you will be notified 4 hours in advance of any changes
- All vehicles accessing Belle Isle State Park are required to have a State of Michigan Recreation Passport.
- Your order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
Flynn Memorial Pavilion
3809 Loiter Way in Belle Isle Park
Detroit, Michigan 48207
- Cash (for parking)
- Water Bottle
- Dry Bag (to store your things in)
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- Easy Doesn’t Change You
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.