Cincinnati Observatory “Tour of the Universe” Astronomy Workshop
Join Explorer Chick for a Private and Exclusive Women-Only Astronomy Workshop getting the “Tour of the Universe”.
Have you ever looked at the night sky and wondered “what is out there?” Or if there was something more to all those magnificent stars blanketing the sky?! 🌠
Learn the secrets of the stars while immersed in a building holding so much history full of stories to tell! The Cincinnati Observatory Center is actually known as ‘The Birthplace of American Astronomy.’ It houses one of the oldest working telescopes and was the first public observatory in the western hemisphere. Recently restored to its original beauty, the Observatory is a fully functioning 19th-century observatory. The main telescopes are an 11-inch Merz and Mahler refractor purchased in 1842 and a 16-inch Alvan Clark and Sons refractor from 1904.
In 1842, it was a time when Big Bone Lick State Park was still looked at as a place where mastodons roamed. It was a time when the world was viewed in terms of biblical writings instead of what astronomers understood. Cincinnati during the 1840s is important because it marks the transformation in the United States of fundamental change. Cincinnati professor Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel had a vision. Mitchel began moving forward on this idea by raising money for a telescope and the observatory building. He went door to door soliciting $25 a piece to invest in this new endeavor. (In 1842 that was the equivalent to an average monthly salary! 💰) Contributions came from all walks of life and every trade. In one month and a half, Mitchel raised nearly $7,500!! Enough to start shopping around for a proper telescope in England and Europe. Mitchel began to grow the country’s first public observatory with the world’s second-largest telescope! This is how the refractor got its name of “The People’s Telescope”. Since then, there have been eight generations of Cincinnatians who have been able to look through the old telescope and experience the wonders of the universe. 🔭
Don’t worry if you end up totally “Star Struck🤩” over this event! We are releasing a whole series of classes keeping you captivated and looking up! 💫This is the third event in the series where we will take a “Tour of the Universe”. Rocket through space and sail among billions of stars and galaxies. Utilizing some amazing simulation software, Dean guides you through the mind-boggling scale of the universe.
- Led by Astronomer Dean Regas, and author of 100 Things to See in the Night Sky
- You will learn how to identify stars, constellations, and planets as well as viewing tips for the Moon
- Small group hands-on Class in the iconic Cincinnati Observatory
- Weather permitting, each night includes viewing through the historic telescopes
- Exclusive and Private Explorer Chick,women-only event. Enjoy more fun
She-Nanigans with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- All equipment provided
- Small-Group hands-on Astronomy Class
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at their discretion as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Check-in Time: 15 minutes prior to the start time
- Duration: 2 Hours
- Women-Only, 21+
- Free Parking on site
- Your order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
3489 Observatory Place
Cincinnati, OH 45208
- Dean is not just an Astronomer, he is also an Author! Follow along with his book “100 Things to See in the Night Sky” Available on-site and also on Amazon.
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- Easy Doesn’t Change You
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.