Cincinnati Observatory Astronomy Workshop
Learn the secrets of the stars in a historic building with its own stories to tell! Join Explorer Chick for our exclusive Cincinnati Observatory astronomy workshop. The workshops are hosted by Dean Regas. Dean is an astronomer, public speaker, television host and author of 100 Things to See in the Night Sky. Get in that late-day caffeine kick so you can enjoy:
- Learning how to identify stars, constellations, and planets—as well as viewing tips for observing the moon
- A small group, hands-on class in the iconic Cincinnati Observatory
- Viewings through the historic telescopes (weather permitting)
- Our exclusive and private women-only event
Cincinnati Observatory Astronomy Workshop Series
Totally “star-struck” and want to learn as much as possible? We have a whole series of classes keeping you captivated and looking up!
March 3, 2021
The Cincinnati Observatory has the oldest telescope in the United States. In this special program we will explore how telescopes 🔭work, show examples of telescopes you can get, and (weather permitting) view the night sky with a variety of telescopes.
April 19, 2021
Explore the Moon phases🌘, features, facts and myths with astronomer Dean Regas. If the skies are clear you will also get to see the Moon up close and personal through the Observatory telescopes.
Perseid Meteor Shower
August 9, 2021
The Perseid Meteor Shower is expected to be the best of 2021! 🌠 When it peaks on August 12-13 you could see around 10-20 shooting stars per hour! Get the tips and tricks to view it like a pro later that week.
Jupiter and Saturn
October 4, 2021
The largest planets in the solar system are back in the night sky. Jupiter with its Great Red Spot and Saturn🪐 with its rings and 82 moons are quite the sight. Learn all about them and see them through the Observatory telescope (weather permitting).
The History of the Cincinnati Observatory
The Cincinnati Observatory is known as “The Birthplace of American Astronomy.” It houses one of the oldest working telescopes and was the first public observatory in the western hemisphere. Recently restored to its original beauty, it is a fully functioning 19th-century observatory. The main telescopes are an 11-inch Merz and Mahler refractor purchased in 1842, and a 16-inch Alvan Clark and Sons refractor from 1904.
In 1842, Cincinnati professor Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel had a vision. Mitchel began moving forward on this idea by raising money for a telescope and the observatory building. He went door-to-door soliciting $25 a piece to invest in this new endeavor. (In 1842 that was the equivalent to an average monthly salary!) Contributions came from all walks of life and every trade. In just six weeks, Mitchel raised nearly $7,500—enough to start shopping around for a proper telescope in England and Europe. Mitchel began to grow the country’s first public observatory with the world’s second-largest telescope, nicknamed “The People’s Telescope”. Since then, eight generations of Cincinnatians have been able to look through the old telescope and experience the wonders of the universe. 🔭
- Led by Astronomer Dean Regas, and author of 100 Things to See in the Night Sky
- You will learn how to identify stars, constellations, and planets as well as viewing tips for the moon
- Small group hands-on class in the iconic Cincinnati Observatory
- Weather permitting, each night includes viewing through the historic telescopes
- Exclusive and private Explorer Chick women-only event! Enjoy more fun SHE-nanigans with an encouraging and supportive group of bold women!
- All equipment provided
- Small-group hands-on Astronomy Class
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at their discretion as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Check-in Time: 15 minutes prior to the start time
- Duration: 2 Hours
- Women-Only, 21+
- Free Parking on site
- Your order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
3489 Observatory Place
Cincinnati, OH 45208
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- Easy Doesn’t Change You
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.