Forest Bathing + Rock Climb in Hocking Hills, OH
Nature has a way of unwinding and recharging our souls. Comforting us by the sounds of the forest, the scent of the trees, the sunlight playing through the leaves, and the freshness felt from the clean air. Melting our stress and worry away. Helping us to relax from our busy weeks and even helping us to think more clearly. Now how do we activate our senses like this you ask? By practicing the Japanese art of shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing, which is good for both physical and mental well-being. It’s proven to reduce stress-hormone production, improve feelings of happiness and free up creativity, lower heart rate and blood pressure, boost the immune system ,and accelerate recovery from illness.
Forest Bathing in the Hocking Hills
We will meet at High Rock Adventures, then drive our own vehicles a short 4-minute drive to our forest bathing location. Shinrin-yoku is not an exercise, or hiking, or jogging. It is simply being in nature, connecting with it through our senses of sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Shinrin-yoku is like a bridge. By opening our five senses, it bridges the gap between us and the natural world. Our response to nature is emotional. Let’s take the time to listen to the birds singing and the breeze rustling the leaves of the trees. Look at the sunlight as it filters through the different greens of the trees. Breathe in the fragrance of the forest, taste the freshness of the air. Place your hands on the trunk of a tree. Dip your fingers or toes in a stream. Lie on the ground. Drink in all the flavors of the forest.
After spending the first half of our day connecting with nature through forest bathing, let’s get that adrenaline going by conquering the natural sandstone rock walls of Hocking Hills. Rock climbing can be an intimidating sport, but it is also a rewarding form of exercise and adventure when done safely. One hand then one foot at a time— you got this! 💪You will receive technical instructions guiding you up the natural rock.
Check out our other Hocking Hills adventures to make the most of your rockin’ weekend!
There’s also plenty of hiking in the area, so stay and explore if you have time.
- Spend the day unwinding and reconnecting during your guided forest bathing, shirin-yoku. Experience surrounded by the natural beauty of Hocking Hills.
- Learn about the local native plants and geology and surrounding wildlife.
- This event is designed for those wanting a deeper, immersive forest experience.
- Finishing the day with your guided rock climbing conquering the natural sandstone rock walls.
- Receive hands-on instruction from qualified guides who will encourage you and provide beta for each route.
- Exclusive and private Explorer Chick, small group, women-only tour. Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of bold women!
- Guided forest bathing shirnin-yoku experience.
- Guided rock climb for all skill levels.
- All equipment is provided including a harness, helmet, climbing devices, and climbing shoes.
- Instruction – No experience necessary, your climbing guides will walk you through your climb and offer tips throughout to make your adventure the best it can be!
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
*Tipping your Guides is optional and not included in the price of your adventure. Gratuities may be given to one leader—the team divides tips among themselves after the trip. We recommend 10-20%.
Why aren’t Guide gratuities included in the trip price? Allowing Guides to accept tips is customary in the tour industry and for good reason. Explorer Chicks enjoy the opportunity to recognize their Guides personally for their hard work and keeping them safe.
For all 2021 Hocking Hills events
- To be able to participate in the event, you are REQUIRED to bring your own face mask!
- You only need to wear when it is not possible to comply with the social distancing of 6 ft. (ie. when the guide is clicking you in/out of your harness)
- The mask can be removed when you are able to maintain the 6 ft distance. This will help ensure your safety as well as the High Rock staff.
- Harness Size restrictions from 18-43″ waist size applies for safety.
- Check-in Time: 30 minutes prior to departure.
- Duration: 4- 4.5 Hours
- We will be meeting at High Rock for check-in.
- Restrooms and fresh Spring Water refills are available at High Rock during check-in.
- No Restrooms are available on the land where the Forest Bathing experience takes place.
- We will need to take our own vehicles a short 4-minute drive to the Forest Bathing location.
- We will finish back at High Rock for our Rock Climbing portion.
- Women-Only, 21+.
- If you are interested in looking for lodging:
- Most of the local Cabins have a 2-night minimum.
- For single nights check local hotels.
- The Holiday Inn Express in Logan or Lancaster both are close.
- Or the Baymont Inn in Logan.
- Print and Sign the High Rock Waiver prior to your arrival.
- Your order Confirmation will include a link to our Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
High Rock Adventures
10108 Opossum Hollow Rd
Rockbridge, Ohio 43149
- Closed-toed shoes are required for the approach. Climbing shoes are provided, guest may use their own climbing shoes if approved by the High Rock Adventures Guide.
- Food- This is an active event, bring snacks to keep you fueled!
- Day-pack to carry extra clothing layers and snacks.
- Wear clothes that allow a full range of motion. Long pants help avoid scrapes to the legs from the rock, but wear what is comfortable. Wear or bring a T-shirt to help protect your shoulders as well. NOTE: Clothes can get dirty, snagged or ripped on the natural sandstone rock.
- Climbing Gear: You may wear your own climbing shoes if approved by our guide. Due to insurance guidelines, you will be required to use our helmets, harnesses, ropes and gear.
- Water: Bring water to drink throughout the tour, preferably in a reusable water bottle.
- Miscellaneous: Bring a hair tie for longer hair, bug repellent, rain gear, and layered clothing depending on the season.
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- Easy Doesn’t Change You
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.