Chickamauga Dam and TN River Kayak Tour
Kayaking is more than just a fun way to explore our waterways. It keeps us looking ahead and moving forward (literally and figuratively)! The calmness felt floating weightlessly on top of the river as the sun glistens down on the water’s surface. The excitement felt as all the river’s secrets are revealed. The sounds of the paddles gliding through the water and the birds serenading you from the forest. (Yeah, we’re ready to grab a paddle too!) Want to take your own paddling journey? Join us for this unique, half-day kayak tour through the Chickamauga Lock and down the Tennessee River!
Kayaking through the Chickamauga Lock
Set off on a kayaking adventure that few paddlers can say they’ve experienced! After you put your kayak in at Chickamauga Lake there will be a quick lesson for any beginner kayakers or Explorer Chicks needing to refresh their skills. Learn how to get into your boat, how to paddle and how to steer your kayak. Then you will enjoy the sights and sounds as you paddle the short distance over to the lock. When you arrive, watch as the massive gates open and the boats heading upstream slowly motor out of the lock. Then kayak in and position your vessel alongside your new kayaking besties. Your guide will secure your spots as the heavy gates close behind you. Take note of the high-water marks slightly below the deck of your kayak and watch them grow as the water slowly drains into the river below. Pose for some glamour shots and chat with your fellow adventurers as you watch the water levels drop. You are going to lower 45 to 60 feet while inside the lock! Once you reach river level the even larger rounded doors in front of you will open wide.
Paddling the Tennessee River
You are now released out into the Tennessee River about 5 stories below where you entered! Let the current work for you as you emerge from the lock and begin to explore the river. Listen to your guides as they point out interesting sites and tell you about the area. Take it all in as you paddle 5 to 6 miles downstream to your final destination.
- Kayak through the dam’s massive lock and witness the workings from the inside!
- 5-6 miles of downstream river kayaking.
- Learn some ecology and history of the area.
- Meet other local Explorer Chicks in the area! Woo hoo!
- Exclusive Explorer Chick, small group, women-only Mini Adventure! Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- All needed equipment.
- Life vest.
- Instruction if needed-no experience necessary!
- Knowledgeable and experienced guide.
- Transportation to the put in location.
- Laughter and support from your fellow Explorer Chicks!
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, additional alcoholic beverages, or costs for additional activities.
*Tipping your Guide is optional and not included in the price of your adventure. We recommend 10-20% the cost of your adventure.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Duration: Approximately 3 hours, depending on group dynamics.
- Check-in time: 30 minutes prior to start time.
- Women-only, 21+
- This is an active event, please bring snacks and a water bottle accordingly to keep you fueled!
- Restrooms available at the beginning and end of the event.
Inside Tennessee Riverpark.
4301 Amnicola Hwy
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Meet at Hubert Fry Center Boat Ramp
- Your Order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
Weather Cancellation Protocols
- This event will be canceled in the event of dangerous weather or water levels. If we need to cancel due to severe weather or waterway conditions, a rescheduled date will be offered. If the offered date will not work, a full refund will be issued.
- Comfortable, quick-drying clothing.
- Swimsuits are welcome!
- Sunglasses and/or brimmed hat with strap.
- Change of clothes for the drive home.
- cell phone or camera with protective, waterproof case.
- dry bag to bring if you bring valuables with you.
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.