Ohio Valley Archaeology Tour, Hike & Dig
Calling all Indiana Janes! Who didn’t have dreams of adventure and discovery while sitting riveted to the screen and watching those movies? This full-day archeological tour Mini Adventure has it all! Learn about the history of the Ohio Valley. Visit several significant sites and embark on a guided hike through the forest to make discoveries of bygone eras 🕵️♀️. Huddle up for a picnic with our lunches brought from home. Then get down and dirty as you participate in a real-life, hands-on archeological dig! Get excited to discover bits and pieces of history as you help put together this puzzle from the past🧩.
Archeological Tour and Hike
Learn about Ohio Valley archaeology and 15,000 years of history through a hands-on archaeological experience and hiking tour. The Archaeological Research Institute (ARI), is an Indiana based public archaeology nonprofit that has a mission to preserve at-risk archaeological sites through hands-on archaeological experiences. Meet at the ARI base camp for an introduction to the archaeology of the Ohio River Valley. From there you will caravan in your own vehicles to various local archaeological sites guided by staff archaeologists (three to four stops) including a guided hike at Shawnee Lookout. Each site along this archeological tour impresses upon visitors the importance of studying and understanding more about the people that have all called this area home throughout time.
Group Picnic Lunch
A morning filled with sight-seeing and exploring can leave a girl HUNGRY! And we will want to fuel up before we dive into that dig. We’ll gather together for our group picnic lunch 🥪 before we get to the archeological site. While enjoying our favorite packed lunches, we will chat with our fellow Explorer Chicks about what we’ve learned and seen so far. (Not sure what to pack? Check out these Delicious Hiking Lunch Ideas from our blog) Then, it’s on to the dig!
Hands-On Archeological Dig
After lunch, you will be paired up with an archaeologist at an active dig site (the Guard Site) to experience archaeology first-hand. You will help in the research of a primarily Fort Ancient time-period site that is between 800-1,000 years old! You will have the opportunity to work side by side with the professionals as you excavate a unit, screen for artifacts, and map your finds like a real scientist. Your archaeologist led experience at the Guard Site will also include time to explore the site trails, native plants garden and land preserve.
- Learn about the history of the peoples who inhabited the area hundreds of years ago.
- Visit archeologically significant sites.
- Work that Hiker Booty as you hike about 2 miles with an elevation gain of around 200 feet.
- Get your hands dirty as you spend half a day participating in a real archeological dig.
- BYO Group Picnic Style Lunch.
- Meet other local Explorer Chicks in the area! Woo Hoo!
- Exclusive Explorer Chick, small group, women-only Mini Adventure.
- Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- All archeology equipment provided.
- Instruction – No experience necessary!
- Learn the history of the people who used to inhabit these lands.
- 2 miles of hiking as your guides share their wealth of local historical knowledge.
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
*Tipping your Guide is optional and not included in the price of your adventure. We recommend 10-20%. These will be used as donations to ARI and its endeavors.
Why aren’t gratuities included in the event price? Allowing Guides/Instructors to accept tips is customary in the tour industry and for good reason. Explorer Chicks enjoy the opportunity to recognize their instructors personally.
- There is not a meal provided. Bring your favorite packed lunch.
- Check-in Time: 30 minutes prior.
- Duration: 7 Hours depending on group dynamics.
- Women-Only, 21+
- You will caravan in your own vehicle to the site locations.
- There are restrooms at the meeting location and at Shawnee Lookout as well as port-a-potties at the dig site.
- Your Order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
- Please also take a moment to print and sign the required waiver for ARI attached to your order confirmation email.
424 Walnut St., Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Severe Weather Cancellation Policy:
- If the event is canceled due to severe weather where safety becomes an issue, you will receive a full refund.
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
Locally Made Libations
- Great Crescent Brewery
- At the Barn Winery
- BYO lunch this is a FULL DAY event.
- Small day pack.
- Snacks to keep you fueled along the way.
- Water Bottles, filled.
- Recommend at least 2 liters.
- Brimmed hat and/or sunglasses.
- Sunscreen and Bug Spray.
- Hiking clothes.
- Clothing you can move freely in and don’t mind getting dirty.
- Layers so that you can add or remove if you get hot or cold.
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes or hiking boots.
- Transportation to get yourself to each site location.
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.