Porcupine Mountains Backpacking Adventure
Explore the Porcupine Mountains and camp along Lake Superior on our 4 day Women-Only, Small group Backpacking trip on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
You’ll spend 4 days exploring the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park trekking over 34 miles and setting up camp in 3 enchanting sites. Your adventure starts hiking along the shores of the largest fresh water lake, Lake Superior. Your first night will be spent camped near the water’s edge falling asleep to the tide lapping the shore. Feeling frisky? Go for a swim!
From the shores, your adventure takes you up to Mirror lake surrounded by some of the highest mountains in Michigan. Don’t worry! You’ll have the opportunity to summit those mountains and enjoy the view from a fire tower at sunset. After scrambling around the park’s highest summits, you’ll gallivant and camp along the park’s most difficult trail.
Your Backpacking adventure will take you through old growth forests and by gushing waterfalls. The Porcupine Mountains are home to towering timbers, secluded lakes, and miles of wild rivers and streams. Each day you’ll backpack roughly 10+ miles to experience every ounce of what this gem of the UP has to offer!
- Spend 4 days backpacking along Lake Superior, towering timbers, secluded mountain lakes, sheer cliffs, and waterfalls in the Porcupine Mountains.
- Enjoy incredible sunsets over Lake Superior amidst the silence of the backcountry.
- Camp under the stars along the shores of Lake Superior, next to a secluded mountain lake, and on a cliff side.
- Challenge yourself physically backpacking 10 plus miles per day in the rugged wilderness of the Upper Peninsula
- Disconnect to reconnect! Leave behind the constant contact and use your phone solely for capturing moments.
- Small Group Experience – Trip is limited to 5 women plus your Explorer Chick guide.
- Simply show up to a fully planned and rationed backpacking trip with your gear. We handle the rest!
- 4 Days/3 Nights backpacking – Includes: Two person shared tents, shared group cooking and camp supplies.
- Challenging hiking ranging from 10-13 miles per day with your 30+ pound pack.
- Meals – From Lunch Day 1 through Lunch Day 4
- Commercial permits and 4 Day Backcountry Fees for the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.
- Small Group experience! Your Explorer Chick Adventure is exclusive and limited to 5 women
- An Explorer Chick Tank Top
*You will receive a full packing list in your travel guide upon deposit, but for planning purposes mandatory gear includes:
- Sleeping bag
- Backpack 60-75L
- Sleeping Pad
*Packages do NOT include your Michigan Recreation Passport fees, airfare, airport transportation, alcoholic beverages, Explorer Chick Leader tips, or costs for additional activities.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
We require a minimum of 2 Explorer Chicks for this trip. Please confirm your trip is guaranteed before booking your travel.
You will receive a travel guide attached to your booking confirmation. Inside you will find our Rendezvous location within Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. It will also include all the information you’ll need to prepare for your epic trip!
Arrival: Plan to arrive on Day 1 at 8am EST.
Departure: Plan to depart after 3pm EST on Day 4.
We highly recommend training prior to your retreat in all conditions with a pack. You will be responsible for carrying your own gear plus shared gear on your trip. This is backpacking after all! Please be aware hiking distances can range from 10-13 miles per day. Train with your pack gradually adding weight to it to allow your body to adapt. To get the most from your Adventure we recommend having a solid fitness base with training on the trails and inclines in a variety of weather conditions. Train how you play!
All Explorer Chicks will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Physical Demands as part of their waiver upon booking.
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
FROM $999 REGULAR PRICE
Save $200 with Early Bird Pricing!
See your trip’s Facebook page for the Discount Code and Expiration!
Non-Refundable Deposit: $200 due at booking to secure your spot