Southern Tennessee Adventure Caving
Are you ready to take on something epic? 🙋♀️ You will discover a whole new world under your feet with this guided caving adventure! How much more epic can you get?! Break free of your daily routine! Kick off your heels and work clothes, and trade them in for boots and comfy pants! You will spend a day walking, climbing and crawling through a world unlike anything you’ve experienced before! Emerge a bit dirtier but feeling stronger 💪 and more accomplished than when you started!
The idea of caving can be as intimidating as it is thrilling, but not with knowledgeable guides leading you on your subterranean exploration! And when you join with other Explorer Chicks the intimidation takes a back seat to the laugher and the adventure! You will experience a world underground lit only by your headlamp and the lamps of your fellow adventurers. You will see cave formations up close and personal while hearing and feeling the waters that spent thousands of years carving out this quiet, dark, exciting world.
CAVING in “THE CAVERNS”
In Grundy County, Tennessee at the base of the Cumberland Plateau in the timeless Pelham valley, you’ll find The Caverns. The largest cave here is frequented by concert goers and is where the Emmy Award-winning PBS show Bluegrass Underground is filmed, but your experience will be vastly different from theirs. You will explore passages where few have gone before, including the challenging “Tombstone Pass” ☠️. Hear about geology, cave lore, and the unique history of Grundy County as you experience the area as never before. After you emerge, dirty, smiling, and excited to have conquered such a unique and challenging experience, you will be rewarded with an exclusive T-shirt to commemorate your successful journey deep into The Caverns.
- Experience the thrill of climbing, crawling and splashing through the world usually hidden below the surface!
- Commemorative The Caverns t-shirt included!
- Exclusive Explorer Chick, small group, women-only tour. Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of bold women!
- All safety equipment provided.
- Knee pads.
- Knowledgeable guides.
- Instruction–No experience necessary!
- Commemorative T-shirt!
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, additional alcoholic beverages, or costs for additional activities.
*Packages do not include Tips for your Guides. They work hard to ensure your enjoyment and safety. We strongly encourage you to recognize your Guides personally for their hard work and keeping you safe with a tip of 10-20% of the value of your adventure.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Duration: Approximately 4-5 hours depending on group dynamics.
- Check-in Time: 30 minutes prior.
- Women-Only, 21+
- There are some tight squeezes on this trip. You will need to be able to wiggle and squeeze through at least one space that is approximately 12 inches wide (area featured in the photo gallery here). This space is taller than it is wide, and you can turn sideways.
- Restrooms are available at the start and finish.
- Parking on-site.
- Your Order Confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
- You will be required to sign a waiver for The Caverns on site.
Weather Cancellation Protocols:
This is an all-weather event. If you do not hear anything from us about the weather, plan that the event is a GO! If it must be canceled for unforeseen reasons, a reschedule date will be offered. If the offered date will not work, a full refund will be issued.
- There are several great camping options within a short driving distance.
- There are several highly rated AirBnB options as well.
Meeting location; Box Office. Once on the property, you will pass through the black gates. Ahead of you will be a large black building with a salamander painted on the front. This is the box office and your meeting location.
- A small daypack.
- The cave stays at 55 degrees year-round, so dress appropriately. Dress in layers so you can make adjustments as you warm-up and cool down.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Sturdy athletic shoes or lightweight hiking shoes/boots required with rubber soles.
- No sandals or open toe shoes (including Chacos or Tevas).
- You will get dirty and possibly damp. It is a great idea to bring dry, comfortable clothing to change into for the ride home. Or wear your new t-shirt!
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.