Katy Bike Trail and Winery Tour
Enjoy a leisurely day trip meandering along the Katy Bike Trail in beautiful St. Charles, Missouri. From the bike rental to the farm-to-table lunch to the oh-so-important wine tastings, Explorer Chick’s got the details covered. All that’s missing is you!
St. Charles and The Katy Bike Trail
Our adventure starts in the heart of St. Charles, otherwise known as “The Little Hills”. This river city is known for its beautiful sites, friendly people, and a pace that moves just a little slower. Before our shuttle pickup at a local hotel, take time to walk along Main Street and explore some of the restaurants and shops this sweet little town has to offer. We’ve taken care of the bike rentals (you’re welcome!) so all you need is a daypack and water! 🚲 We’ll ride about 7.5 miles from the town of Defiance to Augusta. This marks the beginning of the Highway 94 Wine Trail.
Robin’s Nest on the Katy Trail
Our first stop is Robin’s Nest on the Katy Trail. Learn about the distilling traditions of their Swiss-Romansch heritage, where the same methods are still being used in the mountain villages of Switzerland today. Small copper pot stills, single-batch runs, and hand-crafted limited production are the reasons for an exceptional spirit that holds a hint of Switzerland in each bottle. While at Robin’s Nest, enjoy samples of locally made products and shop seasonal handmade crafts.
Farm-to-Table Lunch at Defiance Ridge Vineyards
Next, enjoy a farm-to-table lunch and wine tasting at Defiance Ridge Vineyards in the Historic Missouri Wine Country. They have a little bit of everything to choose from: artisan sandwiches, soups, salads, and charcuterie trays. Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are available. While you dine, take in the view of this 42-acre vineyard, a tranquil lake and breathtaking views of the sweeping Missouri River Valley.
Sugar Creek Winery and the Distillery of Defiance
The shuttle will then take us to our final stops, Sugar Creek Winery and The Distillery of Defiance, which share the property. You will get to tour their cellar and taste their Judgment Tree vodka. Cool fact: American legend Daniel Boone held court at the tree, hence the name.
Optional: Discounted Extra Day of Bike Rental
At the end of the day, we will be shuttled back to our starting location in St. Charles. Still have more exploring (and by “exploring,” we mean “wine tasting”) to do? You’re in luck! We’ve arranged a special Explorer Chick discount on your next-day bike rental for only $15 (that’s half off)! Reserve the extra day when booking, or let your guide know the day of the trip. (Hey, it’s a woman’s prerogative to change her mind. We get you.) When you’re finished, simply leave the bike parked in the bike racks in front of the hotel.
Looking for even more to do in the area? Check out our other Mini Adventures Available in Missouri.
- Shuttled to and from start location.
- Farm to Table Lunch (Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten Free Options Available).
- Guided bike tour along Highway 94 Wine Trail.
- Guided Winery and Distillery tour.
- Samplings provided.
- Option for extended bike rental.
- Meet other local Explorer Chicks in the area! Woo hoo!
- Exclusive Explorer Chick, small group, women-only Mini Adventure.
- Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- Shuttled to and from start location
- Farm to Table Lunch (Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten Free Options Available)
- Guided bike tour along Highway 94 Wine Trail
- Bike rental
- Guided Winery and Distillery tour
- Samplings provided
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
*Tipping your Guide is optional and not included in the price of your adventure. We recommend 10-20%.
Why aren’t gratuities included in the event price? Allowing Guides/Instructor’s to accept tips is customary in the tour industry and for good reason. Explorer Chicks enjoy the opportunity to recognize their Instructors personally.
- Check-in Time: 15 minutes prior to departure
- Duration: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Women-Only, 21+
- Bikes provided
- If you choose to keep your bike rental an extra day, we have a discount price of $15. Reservations at booking are appreciated so we can plan ahead. But no worries if you change your mind and want to add it on the day of! Just let your guides know and they will take care of the transfer from Country Inn and Suites the following end of the day.
- Group rates available for Country Inn and Suites
- Just mention Explorer Chick when booking
- If interested in room-sharing or ride-sharing, post on the event page on facebook to communicate with other Explorer Chicks going.
- If interested in a single room, let them know when booking to receive the single rate.
- Just mention Explorer Chick when booking
- Local recommended Campgrounds
- *Klondike Park* – 25-minute drive
- Sundermeier RV Park – 8-minute drive
- 370 Lakeside Park and RV Campground – 12-minute drive
- The most convenient airport will be STL
- Your order confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
Morning Winery & Distillery Tour meeting point
“Commuter Parking Lot” directly across the street from Country Inn and Suites
- Meet at white Gazebo (location link)
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Water Bottle
- Optional: Cash to tip your guide 10-20%
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Reserve Your Spot
Booking temporarily unavailable
Check back soon!