Texas Animal Sanctuary Experience
Join Explorer Chick for our private, women-only day trip to an animal sanctuary in Texas! 🦁Not only do you get to spend time around these precious rescue animals, you get to help make their life a little better. You’re not here to stand and “visit” these animals from afar. Go “behind-the-scenes” and get an up-close and experience with animal care and assistance.
Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch Animal Sanctuary
Our partner in this unique experience is the world-renowned, non-profit Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch. Founded by author and animal advocate Cleveland Amory in 1979, this animal sanctuary in Texas is now home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals on over 1,400 acres. 🐒
Most of the animals have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches. Others have been rescued from roadside zoos or were former victims of the exotic pet trade. 🐻 Others come from public lands where they were threatened with extermination by the federal government.
A Day Helping Animals in Need
Your day will kick off learning about the ranch and include an instructional safety briefing. Then, we will split into groups and get assignments for multiple areas of the Sanctuary! 👩🌾 You might find yourself preparing monkey diets, mucking equine stalls, general maintenance of the facility, or feeding the farmed animals. It all depends on what needs to be done the day of your Mini Adventure. (Hey, we’re here to help!)
Halfway through our day, we’ll meet up for a yummy, Deli-catered lunch. In the afternoon, we’ll mix up the groups giving everyone a different experience!
After helping around the sanctuary, we’ll spend some time off our feet enjoying a Private Guided 1-Hour Bus/Truck Tour throughout the grounds! (Don’t worry. The natural habitat and the animals will not be disturbed!)
- Make a difference at a non-profit Animal Sanctuary – One of the largest in the country and home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals.
- Spend the day helping around the sanctuary providing assistance throughout the facility where needed.
- Catered Lunch.
- Guided bus/truck tour covering the 1,400 acres without disturbing the animals natural habitat.
- Exclusive and Private Explorer Chick, small group, women only tour. Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- Training and Instructions needed for any jobs.
- Plant-Based Catered Lunch in the Doris Day Equine Center.
- 1 Hour Guided Bus/Truck Tour of the Ranch.
INSTRUCTION: No experience necessary!
*All specific animal encounters are not guaranteed. Please keep in mind they are wild animals in their own natural habitat.
*Explorer Chick and its partners reserve the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Check-in Time: 60 minutes prior.
- Duration: 8am – 4pm.
- Women-Only, 21+.
- In order to work in the Primate area, you must provide a current (past 12 months) Negative TB Skin Test from your Doctor! Otherwise, you will be assigned to different areas.
- Best Airports to fly into are DFW or TYR.
- Hotel Group Rate Discount at Best Western in Athens for anyone interested in lodging.
Waiver and Form(s)
- You will have waivers to sign upon arrival for Black Beauty Ranch.
- Your order Confirmation will include a link to our Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
Black Beauty Ranch
12526 County Road 3806
Murchison, TX 75778
- Closed-toed shoes-Gym shoes or Work Boots. (waterproof preferably if wet weather).
- Long pants made from a sturdy material.
- Work gloves.
- Rain gear is also important when working outside in wet conditions.
- Please keep in mind that with the nature of the work; your clothes and shoes may become dirty or damaged.
- Only if Working with Primates: Paperwork from Doctor with your current negative TB skin test.
- Large water bottle.
- Sunblock or sunscreen.
- Insect repellent and ointment (please avoid ones with a lot of chemicals; they can harm the animals and the environment).
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Reserve Your Spot
Booking temporarily unavailable
Check back soon!