Virginia Hiking & Survival 101
Nestled in Catawba, VA lies three of the Appalachian’s Trail’s most scenic gems: Dragon’s Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs known collectively as the Triple Crown of Virginia. Hike along the AT to enjoy the views from all three and learn wilderness survival skills on this 4 day women only, small group adventure.
Enjoy stunning views from the most photographed spot on the AT, McAfee’s Knob. Trek through Scorched Earth Gap and peer down at Murder Hole to reach Tinker Cliffs. Rock scramble to climb to the top of Cove Mountain and the giant rock monolith that gives Dragon’s Tooth its name.
Between hikes, you’ll learn wilderness survival tactics based on the Seven Priorities of Survival in an interactive outdoor setting. The seven priorities include positive mental attitude, wilderness first aid, shelter, fire craft, signaling, water, and food. By the end of your trip, you’ll know how to cope with psychological stresses, tie knots and lashings, improvise shelters, start and maintain a knee-high fire in the pouring rain, effectively communicate to rescuers, find and purify water, and understand how to procure food. You can even munch on a few bugs!
- Enjoy the views from three of the most iconic vistas on the Appalachian trail on daily, challenging hikes – McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon’s Tooth.
- Learn the necessary skills to survive in the Wilderness in an outdoor classroom with hands-on experience and practice.
- Gain confidence and independence learning the Seven Priorities of Survival including building a shelter, starting a fire, tying essential knots, and hunting for edible insects.
- Kick back after your adventures next to a campfire at our Lodge nestled in the woods at the base of the mountains.
- Relax with a comprehensive itinerary that makes the logistics, transportation, navigation, meal planning, lodging, and everything between easy.
- Private Explorer Chick, small group, women only tour. Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of bold women!
- 4 Days/3 nights in shared occupancy bunk room accommodations in a mountain lodge.
- All meals from Day 1 Dinner to Day 4 Lunch.
- Shuttle service daily to and from the trailheads.
- Daily hiking to: McAfee Knob (8.63 miles/1,643 elevation gain); Tinker Cliffs (7.7 miles/1,945 elevation gain); Dragon’s Tooth (4.5 miles/1,103 elevation gain).
- Wilderness Survival 101 instruction tailored for Explorer Chick.
- Small Group experience ~ Let’s connect!
- A commemorative Explorer Chick shirt
- Small Group experience! Your Explorer Chick Adventure is exclusive and limited to 14 women
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, alcoholic beverages, Explorer Chick guide tips, or costs for additional activities..
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
We require a minimum of 5 Explorer Chicks for this trip. Please confirm your trip is guaranteed before booking your airfare.
Explorer Chicks are responsible for their own transportation to/from our lodging in Catawba, VA. Plan to arrive in Catawba at 4pm EST on Day 1. Plan to depart on Day 4 by 3pm. You will receive lodging details upon booking in our Travel Guide.
The nearest airport is Roanoke (ROA) which is approx a 30 minute drive time.
You will receive a travel guide attached to your booking confirmation with all the information you’ll need to prepare for your epic trip!
We highly recommend training prior to your retreat. The itinerary is packed full of hiking. You should be comfortable with hiking up to 9 miles in a day carrying a light day pack with elevations gains up to 1,945 feet for 3 consecutive days. This means training on dirt trails consistently in your hiking boots. Break in your hiking boots before showing up for your adventure or you risk some serious blisters that might cut your adventure short.
Explorer Chick prides itself in curating trips for women who live an active, healthy lifestyle. What this means is we tackle the big climbs, the long trails, the bucket lists, and the uncomfortable. To get the most from your retreat we recommend having a solid fitness base with training on the trails in a variety of weather conditions. Train how you play!
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Save $200 with Early Bird Pricing!
See our Discount page for Codes and Expirations!
Non-Refundable Deposit: $200 due at booking to secure your spot