Pictured Rocks Ice Climbing Adventure
What makes Ice Climbing so epic? EVERYTHING! The feel of that axe sinking into the ice. The sensation of walking on air with your crampons anchoring you effortlessly. The wall before you as an entirely blank canvas where you choose your own routes. Not to mention that the equipment all looks pretty badass. You’ll feel like a warrior princess with spikes on your feet and axes in your fists! Pop on that beanie and hop in the car, we’re going ice climbing!
Ice Climbing in the UP
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is renowned for its beauty any time of the year, but the frozen landscape creates a whole new level of stunning scenery. Deep, sparkling snow ❄️ and the buzz of excitement everywhere. This full day of wintry adventure will create memories you won’t soon forget!
This course is designed to introduce the beginner to the sport of ice climbing. What better way to shorten your learning curve and learn proper ice climbing techniques than to take a class with a group of supportive women! 💪 Receive instructions from your guides every step of the way with tips and tricks to enhance your climbing experience. In addition to all the new ice climbing skills we just learned, you will now have a grasp of the basics such as:
- Equipment selection
- Tool placement
All the ice climbing equipment you need is provided, but you’ll always be the most comfortable climbing with your own gear. So, if you have it, bring it! Your guides will inspect all gear to ensure safety before you get out on the ice.
Don’t Climb Hungry
Pack a lunch and bring it along 🥪. Take a break any time you need to rest and recharge. Relax those muscles, soak up the views and enjoy chatting with the other ice princesses as you fuel up on what you’ve thrown together at home. (Not sure what to pack? Check out these Delicious Hiking Lunch Ideas from our blog) A warm beverage in an insulated thermos will be a welcome reward for all your hard work.
Once you return from this Ice Climbing Day Adventure, you get to toss this little personal factoid into every meeting for the rest of your life. How is that for an “Ice Breaker”?
- Full day of instruction and climbing in beautiful Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
- Experience an unbelievable winter wonderland in a whole new way!
- Meet other local Explorer Chicks in the area. Woo hoo!
- Private Explorer Chick, small group, women-only event. Enjoy more fun She-Nanigans with an encouraging and supportive group of Bold women!
- All Equipment Provided.
- Climbing Boots.
- Ice Tools.
- Helmet (required for all trips).
- Full Day, 6 Hour Guided Climbing Trip.
- Climbs range in height of 20-60 feet.
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, additional alcoholic beverages, or costs for additional activities.
*Packages do not include Tips for your Climbing Guides. We recommend a tip amount of 10-20% the value of your adventure. We strongly encourage you to recognize your Guides personally for their hard work and keeping you safe.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
- Duration: Approximately 6 hours depending on group dynamics.
- Check-in Time: 30 minutes prior to departure.
- No weight restrictions.
- Women-Only, 21+
- Free Parking.
- Your order confirmation will include a link to the Explorer Chick Smart Waiver. Please take a minute to sign online.
Down Wind Sports
Weather Cancellation Protocols:
- If this event gets canceled due to weather for safety, you will be given a full refund.
Local Lodging Recommendations:
The Roam Inn is an 18-room boutique hotel situated 150 yards from the shores of Lake Superior’s Munising Bay– everything the community offers is a walk away. When booking your room use the Guide Service discount code DWS30 to save 30% on your room reservation!
The hotel is also the home of Tracey’s. Tracey’s is a relaxed, fine dining establishment that focuses on local farm-to-table ingredients.
- Footwear: Medium weight wool or synthetic socks will help to keep your feet warm during your climb.
- Base Layer: Long underwear top and pants.
- Mid Layer: Fleece or wool top and bottoms. “Puffy Jacket”
- Outer Layer: Insulated winter jacket with hood if possible. Winter pants.
- Headwear: Synthetic or wool hat (beanie). A lighter weight fits better under the helmet.
- Gloves: We recommend that you bring 2 pairs of lightweight gloves to climb in (they will get wet) and 1 pair of heavier weight gloves to hang out in.
- Water bottle.
- Warm drink: You’re playing on the ice, and it gets cold! A warm drink can heat you up from the inside when it’s cold outside. Coffee, tea, cocoa, hot water, soup whatever your preference.
- Daypack: A larger pack is nice to carry all of your gear for the day.
- Lunch and snacks: This is a full day, active event! Bring foods to keep you fueled.
- Bringing a few snacks and a lunch will help you stay out longer and have more fun.
- Lip balm.
- Camera – You’re going to want to get some great photos to show off!
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.