Red River Gorge Backpacking Workshop
Learn how to backpack with our small group, women only backpacking workshop in the Red River Gorge. Have you ever dreamed of hiking to a faraway, remote land to spend a few days camping and living in the wild surrounded by mountains? We have! And, we want you to be able to live freely in the wild at your every whim armed with the skills and experience to do so!
We’ll meet you in the Red River Gorge to spend 2 days teaching you the fundamentals of backpacking with plenty of hands-on experience. With it’s abundance of natural bridges, sandstone cliffs, rock shelters, and arches, we couldn’t think of a more beautiful location to teach you how to backpack in the wilderness.
The best part? We’ll lend you the essential Gear to get started! Every Explorer Chick will be provided with a Backpack, a Sleeping Bag, a Sleeping Pad, and a shared 2 person tent. We’ll provide all of the meals beginning with Saturday lunch through our Sunday closing lunch at a Red River Gorge local eatery. As for the rest of the gear, you’ll be provided with a packing list.
- Explore the many Arches, Sandstone cliffs, Natural Bridges, and Rock Shelters in the Red River Gorge.
- Receive a hands-on experience with a small group of women guided by the Explorer Chick experts. You’ll be able to ask all of your questions, practice your skills as often as necessary, and get personal attention without feeling awkward or embarrassed!
- Borrow the expensive gear giving you the opportunity to learn all about Backpacking and the required gear before investing in your own!
- Spend two days meeting and becoming friends with a fabulous group of outdoor adventure lovin’ women!
- Optional day hike to Iconic Landmarks in the Red River Gorge on Sunday
- Eat Picnic lunches surrounded by the natural beauty of Red River Gorge.
- End your Outdoor Adventure with our closing lunch at a local Red River Gorge eatery. Go home with a full belly and a happy heart!
- Explorer Chick lends you the Essential Gear:
- Shared 2 person tent (Everyone will share a tent with one other person)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Camp Meals:
- Saturday ~ Lunch, Dinner
- Sunday ~ Breakfast, Lunch
- Workshop Closing Lunch on Sunday at a Red River Gorge Local Eatery
- Hands-on, guided experience from the Explorer Chick experts. You’ll learn everything from correctly packing your backpack, hanging a bear bag, setting up camp, backcountry cooking, Leave No Trace, and much more.
- Explorer Chick Backpacking Field Guide: A complete text will all of the material covered in the workshop plus room for taking notes
- Explorer Chick shirt
- Commercial permits and 1 Day Pass fees for Daniel Boone National Forest
- Shared Items: Tents, Camp Stove, First Aid Kit, etc
*You will receive a mandatory packing list when you book your workshop which will include personal clothing, trail shoes, a headlamp, rain gear, and more.
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, transportation to the Red River Gorge, alcoholic beverages, Explorer Chick Leader tips, or costs for additional activities.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
Located on the Daniel Boone National Forest under the special use permit from the Forest Service, USDA.
We require a minimum of 4 Explorer Chicks for this trip. Please confirm your trip is guaranteed.
Explorer Chicks are responsible for their own transportation to/from the Red River Gorge. Plan to arrive at the designated Trail Head early Saturday morning and depart the Red River Gorge late afternoon Sunday. You will receive the trail head location and directions in your Travel Guide upon booking.
You will be responsible for traveling from the Trail Head to the Optional day hike and closing lunch on Sunday. Both are located in the Red River Gorge vicinity.
There are several hotels in the area for an overnight stay in Red River Gorge. If you are flying, Lexington is the closest airport with an approximate 1 hour drive to the Red River Gorge.
You will receive a travel guide attached to your booking confirmation with all the information you’ll need to prepare for your epic trip!
Backpacking differs greatly from casual day hiking and trail running in local parks. We want all Explorer Chicks to enjoy their backpacking experience which is why we find it crucial to set realistic expectations for this workshop.
We will hike a loop that is just over 6 miles round trip with our backpacks setting up camp approximately 4 miles into our hike. What makes the Red River Gorge absolutely breathtaking also makes it’s trails steep and strenuous at times. It is a gorge after all! You will be hiking some steep sections with a backpack. Expect to carry approximately 25 pounds on your back. You will be responsible for carrying your own pack, assigned gear, and necessities.
When planning the route, we take into consideration the variety of skill and abilities of the women joining us on the adventure allowing ample time to reach camp and to instruct. Keep in mind we will hike together as a group. The pace of the trip will vary based on the group’s overall abilities.
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Save $20 with Early Bird Pricing!
See your trip’s Facebook page for the Discount Code and Expiration!
Non-Refundable Deposit: $100 due at booking to secure your spot