Ultimate Jordan Adventure with the Dead Sea, Wadi Rum and Petra
Reveal the ancient secrets of Petra and Jordan on the ultimate Women-Only Adventure Tour. Over the course of 8 days, you’ll explore “The Lost City” of Petra, hike portions of the Jordan Trail, ride camels in Wadi Rum, float in the Dead Sea, and glamp under desert stars on our 8 Day Women-only, Small Group Adventure Tour in Jordan.
Yep! Your Jordan Adventure will channel every ounce of your inner Indiana Jane! Cue the theme song and sing it enthusiastically as you read on about your Jordan adventure.
Your adventure kicks off traveling the King’s Highway before jumping off for canyoning. You’ll explore one of the most beautiful canyons and swim through milky blue waters beneath towering basalt canyon walls. Then, you’ll rest your head at an eco-lodge within the boundaries of the Dana Nature Reserve.
The following morning, you’ll wake to trek 5 miles along one of the most scenic sections of the Jordan Trail to arrive in Little Petra. En route, you’ll be able to see into Israel and learn about the biblical significance of the trail by our local guide. That night, you’ll relax under the stars at an authentic Bedouin camp. Don’t worry! It’s a glamping experience with a bed and mattress.
The next day, you’ll journey to Petra on foot over the course of 9 miles. The hike might seem long, but you’ll be rewarded by entering Petra through a back entrance before exploring the narrow slot canyons and caves deep within the vast Unesco World Heritage site. On your second day in Petra, our local guide will take us on a super secret hike with stunning views known only by the locals. (Shhhhh! Don’t tell the tourists!)
After our time in Petra, we take off for Wadi Rum. (Okay, so you like “Rum”, but what is a Wadi? It’s a regional Arabic word for valley or dry river bed. And, no, it’s not a valley full of Rum 🤣).
The landscape in Wadi Rum is so spectacular that it’s been the film set for The Martian, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and the new Aladdin. The Wadi Rum desert is unlike anything else on Earth! Protected by the National Park, this area is devoid of man-made architecture and influence. Instead, the nomadic Bedouin people thrive on what the Earth provides and call Wadi Rum their home. Lucky for us, the Bedouins welcome us into their nomadic communities and showcase some of their favorite hiking trails for us to enjoy!
You’ll spend 2 nights under the breathtaking stars in Wadi Rum staying in another authentic Bedouin camp. Your home will be a raised, canvas tent complete with a bed and local decor. While in Wadi Rum, you’ll board a Jeep to safari to Burda Mountain. You’ll embark on a challenging 3-4 hour hike and scramble to reach the famous Burda Rock bridge. If you’re feeling bold, you can inch out to the middle of the arch standing 900 feet high with scenery that will blow your mind. You’ll catch your last sunset in Wadi Rum on the back of a camel as you enjoy a classic bucket-list desert experience.
On your final full day, we’ll make our way to the lowest place on the earth – The Dead Sea. You’ll quickly find that swimming is nearly impossible due to it’s high salt content. Instead, just sit back, float, smear on some “Magical” Dead Sea mud, and let all of those adventures sink in. In the evening, we’ll gather for one last meal together. But here’s the kicker. You are going to help prepare it! You’ll learn the flair of Jordanian cuisine at a culinary school that is women-owned and operated. 😋
Jordan captivates visitors with her rich diversity of history, welcoming hospitality, other-worldly landscapes, delectable cuisine, and exquisitely preserved archeological sites. Join us on our 8 Day, small group adventure in Jordan to experience it yourself!
- Take the back entrance to explore the massive archaeological site of Petra with your private, English speaking guide. You’ll have plenty of time to wander in and out of the many slot canyons, residential caves, bazaars, and ancient tombs dating back to the 5th Century B.C.
- Trek 5 miles along one of the most scenic sections of the Jordan Trail to explore Little Petra. Along the way, stop high on an overlook where you’ll have views into Israel.
- Scramble and hike to Wadi Rum’s tallest arch, Burdah Rock Bridge, located over 900 feet above the valley floor. Yes, you’ll be able to walk across the bridge if you’re feeling BOLD!
- Make a new camel friend and watch the sunset as you ride across the Wadi Rum Desert.
- Hike, slide, swim, and scramble through one of Jordan’s most exquisite and seldom visited slot canyons. You’ll have the opportunity to jump into the deep canyon pools and slide down natural water slides to your heart’s content!
- Learn about traditional Jordanian cuisine in a hands-on, exclusive cooking class from a women-owned and operated culinary school. Of course we’ll chow down afterwards!
- Share authentic meals and tales from local Bedouin hosts about living a nomadic lifestyle and the history of their people.
- Spend the day hiking ancient, nomadic paths in very seldom visited areas of Petra. Your local guide will lead you through Edomite building ruins to a summit high above Petra where an exquisite Roman/Nabataean Bath complex was recently excavated. (Shhhh! Don’t tell the tourists!)
- Visit the lowest point on Earth and float in the Dead Sea 1,410 feet below sea level!
- Share epic sunsets and clear night skies with your fellow Explorer Chicks while sipping wine and retelling the day’s SHE-nanigans!
- Sleep 2 nights under the desert stars in Wadi Rum at an authentic Bedouin Camp.
- Relax with a comprehensive itinerary that makes the logistics, transportation, navigation, meal planning, lodging, and everything in-between easy.
- Private Explorer Chick, small group, women only tour. Embark on your adventure with an encouraging and supportive group of bold women!
- 4 Nights in boutique style hotels. Shared – 2 per room
- Wi-Fi signal is not very strong
- Bathrooms will be a mix of shared and en suite.
- 3 Nights Glamping in Bedouin Style Tents. Shared – 2 per room
- Tents are located on a raised, wooden platform. Each tent has 2 beds, warm blankets, and the traditional colorful Bedouin decor.
- Central Community Tent where tea and meals are served. Lounge on comfortable cushions with a fire, colorful rugs, and plenty of space to relax after the day’s adventures.
- Bathroom facilities are shared and located a short walk from your Bedouin Tent. Showers are heated by solar.
- No Wi-Fi or electricity.
- Guided tour of the vast archeological site of Petra with plenty of time to explore on your own.
- Hike a portion of the Jordan Trail walking along the Silk Road trade route from thousands of years ago ending at Little Petra.
- Swim/Float in the Dead Sea from a resort location.
- Hike to one of the most secret, undiscovered spots in Petra with views of the entire archeological site.
- Hike to the tallest arch in Wadi Rum, Burdah Rock Bridge.
- Enjoy a traditional, home-cooked lunch while visiting the nomadic Bedouins of Petra.
- Sunset Camel Ride through the Wadi Rum Desert.
- Slide, swim, and hike through one of Jordan’s most beautiful canyons.
- Privately Guided tour of Petra including The Monastery and The Treasury.
- Intimate cooking class learning to prepare a traditional middle-eastern dish.
- Jordan Visa with airport pickup and assistance through customs.
- All meals as indicated in itinerary: B-7, L-6, D-7.
- Private Explorer Chick land-transportation throughout itinerary including airport transfers in an air conditioned vehicle.
- Local English Speaking Driver.
- A commemorative Explorer Chick shirt.
- All tips for included meals and local guides.
- A detailed Travel Guide upon booking with everything you need to know for your trip.
- The freedom to enjoy your vacation and mindlessly wander!
- Local English speaking female guide(s) throughout the full itinerary.
- Local English speaking male Bedouin Guide during your hike in Wadi Rum.
- One experienced Explorer Chick Leader ensuring your trip is seamless and unforgettable!
- Small Group experience! Your Explorer Chick Adventure is exclusive and limited to 12 women.
*Packages do NOT include your round-trip airfare, rendezvous hotel stays, alcoholic beverages, Explorer Chick Leader tips, or costs for additional activities.
*A passport that is valid for at least 6 months past your arrival date is required.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
Day 1 – Arrival to Amman, Jordan!
Welcome to Amman, Jordan! Upon arrival at Queen Alia International Airport, you will be greeted by a local representative who will assist you through the immigration process. Your visa fees are included in your trip price. After collecting your checked baggage, you will be driven in a private vehicle to our Rendezvous Hotel in Amman!
We will meet as a group at 7pm for an official Orientation, Welcome Dinner, and your first taste of the delicious Jordanian cuisine!
Accommodation: Boutique Hotel in Amman
Meals: Welcome Dinner
Day 2 – Hike, Swim, Slide, and Jump through Wadi Hidan!
You will quickly learn that Jordan has many hidden, unexpected gems. Today, we’ll jump right in (pun intended!) to discover why this magical country will leave it’s impact on you for years to come.
One of Jordan’s many secrets are the deep, lush slot canyons that get overlooked in favor of more popular tourist destinations. Our trail leads us through a narrow gorge where we’ll hike along the river, scramble up and down rocks, and even swim through the milky blue waters!
After our hike, we’ll transfer to our Eco-Lodge perched on the edge of the cliff for optimal views over the Dana Nature Reserve. Each room has a terrace with views of the mountains and canyons surrounding the Eco-Lodge. Dinner tonight is sourced from local ingredients featuring the diverse flavors in Jordanian cuisine.
Hiking Time: 4-5 hours
Accommodation: Eco-Hotel in Dana
Meals: B, Trail Lunch, D
Day 3 – Hike to Little Petra via The Jordan Trail
Today’s hike leads us on one of the most spectacular stretches of the 404 mile Jordan Trail. The Jordan Trail thru-hike travels on a North/South journey through the entire country.
Our 5 mile hike along The Jordan Trail leads us along the ancient footpaths that traders and merchants utilized when traveling along the Silk Road. We’ll be navigating through unmarked terrain with our local Jordanian guide who point out ancient Biblical landmarks and share the rich history of the area. You’ll have views across the desert to Israel as you munch on your trail lunch before descending to the ancient archeological site of Little Petra.
We’ll arrive in Little Petra in the late afternoon as the sun is casting her golden glow on the ancient cave dwellings, a temple, dining area, and community caves dating back to the 1st Century. You’ll look up in awe at an incredibly rare 2,000 year old ceiling fresco preserved in an ancient dining room. Your local Jordan Guide will elaborate on several different scenarios depicting what life may have looked like from different historians’ beliefs. Let your mind wander back in time as you explore the intricate architecture of this Nabataean UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Afterwards, we’ll meet our Bedouin Hosts for the evening where we’ll sleep in canvas tents under the stars and feast on a traditional Bedouin dinner.
Hiking Distance: 5 miles
Accommodation: Bedouin Glamping
Meals: B, Trail Lunch, D
Day 4 – Petra, The Ancient City of Mysteries
We’ll wake up early today to start our hike into the vast UNESCO Site of Petra. To avoid the majority of the other tourists, we’ll take a backdoor entrance where we’ll walk in the footsteps of the ancient Nabataeans through canyons, along cliffs, and across desert plains. The trail rounds a mountain and you’ll be greeted by The Monastery seemingly rising out of the Earth. We’ll stop for refreshments from a local Bedouin cafe while basking in the grandeur of the ancient tomb dating back to the 3rd Century B.C.
Continuing through Petra, we’ll descend over 800 steps through slot canyons where we’ll easily see how daily life thrived over 2,000 years ago. Local Bedouins sell their handmade goods and detailed handicrafts to hikers traveling through the passageways of Petra to The Treasury.
We’ll stop for lunch in the main city center of Petra where daily life once thrived. After lunch you’ll wander through elaborate tombs carved in to the sandstone walls with our local guide as she explains the history of the architecture and the intricate aqueducts which allowed civilizations to thrive in a desert climate.
Last but certainly not least we’ll visit The Treasury, one of the most iconic archeological sites in the region. Originally used as a temple, it received it’s name from the misbelief that it contained treasures. After exploring this beautiful site, we’ll exit Petra via a narrow slot canyon to our hotel and a well-deserved dinner!
Hiking Distance: 9-10 miles
Accommodation: Hotel in Petra
Meals: B, L, D
Day 5 – Experience life as a Bedouin in Petra
The nomadic Bedouins inhabited the caves in Petra up until the late 1900’s. To this day, some Bedouins still call Petra their home but live away from the casual tourists’ eye. Today, we’ll travel where not many other tourists go as we hike up to a highpoint above the entire site of Petra with views to the city center. From this viewpoint, we’ll discover Edomite buildings from the 7th-6th centuries B.C., along with a splendid Nabataean/Roman bath complex that overlooks the entire city which was just recently excavated.
On our way back to the main tourist trail, we’ll stop for lunch at a local Bedouin home. You’ll learn about their local way of life quickly learn why the Jordan people are known for their warm hospitality.
We’ll leave Petra and transfer 2 hours to the magificant desert of Wadi Rum where you’ll spend the next 2 nights.
Hiking Distance: 9.5 miles
Accommodation: Bedouin Glamping
Meals: B, L, D
Day 6 – Hike to Jebal Burdah Rock Bridge & a Sunset Camel Ride
You’ll wake up to the smell of coffee, tea, and a traditional Bedouin breakfast. After feasting like a local, we’ll hop in a 4×4 truck that will take us across the roadless Wadi Rum desert to our trailhead. Our local Bedouin guide will guide us up the unmarked terrain to the summit of the highest rock bridge in Wadi Rum! You’ll have the opportunity to walk out on the bridge 262 feet in the air if you’re feeling BOLD!
Afterwards, we’ll transfer back to our camp where we’ll discover why Wadi Rum is known for it’s epic sunsets. Make a new camel friend as we take a leisurely ride across desert in the golden hour light.
Hiking/Scrambling Time: 3-4 hours
Accommodation: Bedouin Glamping
Meals: B, L, D
Day 7 – Dead Sea Float and Cooking Class
We’ll depart Wadi Rum after one more delicious breakfast to visit the lowest point on Earth! The Dead Sea sits at 1,410 feet below Sea Level. We’ll check off a Bucket List goal and swim (float is more accurate!) to our heart’s content in the salty water. Onsite, there is a resort where we’ll have lunch before transferring back to Amman.
Upon arrival in Amman, we’ll check in to our hotel and freshen up before our final dinner together – a cooking class! We’ll learn how to prepare a local Jordanian dish from a women owned and operated culinary school. Jordanian food has a heavy Mediterranean and Turkish influence making it one of the most delicious cuisines on Earth. Eat up!
Accommodation: Boutique Hotel in Amman
Meals: B, L, Cooking Class & Dinner
Day 8 – Departures
Many flights out of Queen Alia International Airport depart in the early hours of the morning. You will be transferred to the airport regardless of your departure time. Feel free to fly out anytime today.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, availability, or other unforeseen incidents.
You will receive a Travel Guide attached to your booking confirmation with all the information you’ll need to prepare for your epic trip.
Your trip begins and ends in Amman, Jordan (AMM).
Day 1: Arrival Day. Fly in to Amman, Jordan anytime prior to 5pm. You will be greeted at the airport and assisted through immigration. You will then be transferred to our Rendezvous Hotel where you will be able to relax and freshen up before meeting up with the rest of your Explorer Chick gal pals at 7pm.
Day 8: Departure Day. Fly out of Amman, Jordan anytime today. Flights typically depart Amman in the early hours of the morning. Your airport transfer will be arranged for you regardless of the hour.
We require a minimum of 4 Explorer Chicks for this trip. Please confirm your trip is guaranteed before booking your airfare.
Just as you would a marathon, you must train prior to your adventure. The itinerary is packed with multiple days of hiking and adventures taking place on a variety of terrain. You should be comfortable with hiking up to 10 miles and a full day with your day pack. You should very easily be able to hike on rough terrain at 2 miles per hour. Please read the itinerary thoroughly with the stated distances.
You should be training on rough and rugged terrain – not perfectly paved sidewalks. Train how you play! Also, find steps, a hill, or the Stairmaster and get to climbing! Your quads, booty, and calves will thank you. Train in all the weather – This even means rain! Please consider the physical demands carefully as it is for the safety and enjoyment of the group.
Train your tootsies! Do not show up with brand new hiking boots or trail shoes. You should be spending hours upon hours in your boots leading up to your adventure to break them in. Better to suffer blisters at home than to miss out on a hike due to painful hot spots on your feet. This is our number one injury. Do not let it happen to you!
Please consider your ability to meet the physical demands very seriously. It is for the safety of both you and our group. All Explorer Chicks will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Physical Demands as part of their waiver upon booking.
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- Easy Doesn’t Change You
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Save $300 with Early Bird Pricing!
See our Discount page for Codes and Expirations!
Non-Refundable Deposit: $300 due at booking to secure your spot