Smoky Mountains Hiking + Glamping Weekend
Join us on our Great Smoky Mountains Hiking & Glamping Weekend for women only! Enjoy four days of sweeping mountain vistas, a private whiskey tour, forest hikes, and more. Spend a long weekend with a small group of women hiking the best trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (including parts of the Appalachian Trail). Luxuriate with nightly glamping near Gatlinburg, TN.
Your hiking adventure has been carefully (obsessively?) curated by the Explorer Chick team over countless in-field tests. Only our top treks make the itinerary. Prepare to be challenged on the trail and rewarded with the most OMFG-level mountain views and waterfalls.
Great Smoky Mountains Hiking
Stride through sweet-smelling pine forests to reach sweeping panoramic vistas with a girl gang you’d trust more than Paul Bunyan. Climb to only one of three remaining fire towers in the National Park when you embark on the strenuous trek up Mt. Cammerer. You can take it “easy” on a moderate hike to the park’s highest single-drop waterfall, Rainbow Falls. Then, inch out to a bald rock outcropping on Charlie’s Bunion to get your heart hammered by mountain scenery in every direction. Walk in the foot path of thousands of Appalachian Trail thru hikers that have come before you on two hikes. Your Insta feed won’t know what hit it. Yes, this is real life with WILD women.
Of course, what’s a trip to Tennessee without whiskey? You’ll spend a few hours on an exclusive, private tour with our local guide visiting distilleries on the Tennessee Whiskey Trail. Go behind the scenes at a real working still house and see how everything is made start to finish. Learn the history of whiskey throughout the Prohibition era, the state’s romance with whiskey, and why these mountains were such an integral part of moonshine culture.
Each night, put your feet up in total Pinterest-worthy digs at our adorable glamping site minutes from Gatlinburg. You will sleep in a tent that has been tastefully decorated and luxuriously appointed with WiFi and temperature control – with meals freshly prepared at camp by your Explorer Chick guides. You only have one task after hiking: RELAX.
It’s a wonderfully wild weekend with a small group of women hiking the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Over the course of the long weekend, you’ll quickly grow close with your posse of Explorer Chicks as you hike the trails and share memories of summits.
- Hike three of Explorer Chick’s favorite mountain hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains National park.
- Enjoy the sweeping panoramic views from a fire tower high up on Mt. Cammerer.
- Get up close and personal with the Smokies highest single-drop waterfall, Rainbow Falls.
- Stand in the midst of mountains from the rock outcropping on Charlie’s Bunion.
- Taste the flavors of Tennesee with a whiskey walking tour and sampling flights.
- Kick back at camp with breakfasts and dinners cooked by your Explorer Chick guides.
- Sleep easy at our Glamping site with canvas tents outfitted with all the creature comforts.
- Relax with a comprehensive itinerary that makes the logistics, transportation, navigation, meal planning, lodging, and everything between easy.
- Geek out with supportive and encouraging Explorer Chicks on a private, women-only, small group adventure tour.
- 3 Nights Glamping in canvas, platform tents – Shared 2-3 per tent
- Temperature controlled with a heater and air conditioner.
- Beds will be a mix of Queens and Bunk Beds and assigned randomly.
- Shower house and restrooms a short walk away.
- Please note: This is not a remote backcountry experience. Instead, we are enjoying the amenities of a luxury glamping site equipped with free Wifi, easy access to our trailheads and downtown, a heated pool, a pavilion with backyard games, and top notch glamping.
- 3 challenging hikes ranging from 5 to 11 miles and with 1,685 to 3,045′ gain per day
- Commercial permits for the Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Guided, Private Whiskey Tour and Moonshine Tasting with a local guide
- All meals as indicated in itinerary: B-3, L-3, D-3
- Private Explorer Chick transportation throughout itinerary as indicated
- A commemorative Explorer Chick shirt
- All tips for included local guides
- A detailed Travel Guide with everything you need to know for your trip
- The freedom to enjoy your vacation and mindlessly wander!
- Two experienced Explorer Chick Leaders ensuring your trip is seamless and unforgettable!
- Small Group experience! Your Explorer Chick Adventure is exclusive and limited to 11 women
*Packages do NOT include your airfare, airport transportation, alcoholic beverages except where indicated in the itinerary, Explorer Chick Leader tips, or costs for additional activities.
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, or other unforeseen incidents.
Day 1: Arrivals
Welcome to the Beautiful Great Smoky Mountains National Park! Plan on arriving today to our Glamping campsite at 5pm to settle in before our 7pm Official Kick-off and Welcome Dinner! Tonight, we take it easy as we have a big hike up a mountain in the morning.
Day 2: Hiking Mt. Cammerer
Today is our biggest and most challenging hike! After a hearty breakfast, we’ll load up our private passenger van driving east towards the border of North Carolina. Today’s goal is the historic Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower. Not only is this tower one of only three remaining in the park, it offers stunning panoramic views of Mt. Sterling, the Pigeon River Gorge, Snowbird Mountain, and the Smokies. It was fully functional until the 1960’s and fully restored in 1995. Now it’s a great spot to chow down on a sammie and take in the views! Those views will be earned! The hike up is long and steep. You’ll gain 2,000 feet just in the first three miles. You gain some reprieve once on the Appalachian Trail where it traces a ridgeline. The final push is a rugged and rocky scramble to the tower. After our hike, we’ll return to our campsite to shower and enjoy a meal freshly prepared by your Explorer Chick guides.
Elevation Gain: 3,045’
Distance: 11.1 miles
Time: 7 hours hiking
Meals: B, L, D
Day 3: Rainbow Falls and a Private Moonshine Tour
You wake again to a wonderful breakfast cooked by your Explorer Chick guides. Then, we are off to our second hike: Rainbow Falls. Standing at 80 feet high, Rainbow Falls has earned the honor of being the highest single-drop waterfall in the Smokies. The name for the waterfall comes from the rainbow that’s produced by mist on sunny afternoons.
We will return to camp after our hike to freshen up and enjoy the afternoon. Your guides will whip up a filling dinner before we meet our local guides in Gatlinburg for our private Whiskey History and Tasting tour. The next few hours will be spent on foot visiting distilleries which make up part of the Tennessee Whiskey Trail. We’ll go on a behind the scenes tour at a real working still house and see how everything is made start to finish. But, you won’t just learn about whiskey and moonshine. You’ll enjoy two tastings from two different distilleries.
Elevation Gain: 1,685’
Distance: 5.4 miles
Time: 4 hours hiking
Meals: B, L, D
Day 4: Charlies Bunion and Departure
It’s our saddest day as we pack up our belongings and leave camp. Of course, we’ll squeeze in one more hike together. Everyone will take their own mode of transportation to the Newfound Gap trailhead ready to hike the Appalachian Trail to Charlies Bunion. On our way up, we’ll be sure to pause to take in the outstanding views of Mount LeConte and Myrtle Point. Yet, the real show is from the outcropping at the summit. Stepping out onto the rocks, you’ll feel like the Queen of the Smokies with mountains in every direction! Afterwards, we’ll say our teary good byes, and head our separate ways. Plan to depart no earlier than 4pm EST.
Elevation Gain: 1,640’
Distance: 8.1 miles
Time: 5 hours hiking
Meals: B, L
*Explorer Chick reserves the option to modify trip itineraries at the discretion of your tour director as necessary due to weather, conditions, illness, injury, group dynamics, availability, or other unforeseen incidents.
You will receive a travel guide attached to your booking confirmation with all the information you’ll need to prepare for your epic trip.
Your trip begins and ends in Gatlinburg, TN.
Arrival: Day 1 – Plan to arrive at our Campsite at 5pm. You are responsible for your own transportation to the Glampsite.
Departure: Day 4 – After breakfast and packing up all of our belongings, you will drive your car to the trail head for our last hike. Plan on departing no earlier than 4pm.
Every trip has a Facebook Event that you can join to meet the other Explorer Chicks sharing your adventure. It is strongly encouraged that you join your trip’s event.
We require a minimum of 5 Explorer Chicks for this trip. Please confirm your trip and dates are guaranteed before booking your travel arrangements.
During your Smoky Mountain Hiking adventure, you will hike to some of the best views in the National Park.
- Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower (11.1 miles/3,045′ gain)
- Rainbow Falls (5.4 miles/1,685′ gain)
- Charlie’s Bunion (8.1 miles/1,640′ gain)
We highly recommend training prior to your adventure. The itinerary is packed full of hiking. You should be comfortable with hiking up to 11 miles in a day carrying a light day pack with elevations gains up to 3,045 feet.
You should be training on rough and rugged terrain – not perfectly paved sidewalks. Also, find steps, a hill, or the StairMaster and get to climbing! Your quads, booty, and calves will thank you.
Train your tootsies! Do not show up with brand new hiking boots or trail shoes. You should be spending hours upon hours in your boots leading up to your adventure to break them in. Better to suffer blisters at home than to miss out on a hike due painful hot spots on your feet. This is our number one injury. Don’t let it happen to you!
Explorer Chick prides itself in curating trips for women who live an active, healthy lifestyle. What this means is we tackle the big climbs, the long trails, the bucket lists, and the uncomfortable. To get the most from your adventure we recommend having a solid fitness base with training on trails in a variety of weather conditions and hill/stair climbing. Train how you play!
Please consider your ability to meet the physical demands very seriously. It is for the safety of both you and our group. All Explorer Chicks will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Physical Demands as part of their waiver upon booking.
Read More on the Blog
Still not convinced that THIS is the adventure for you?
We’ve rounded up some of our most popular blog posts, so you can get to know us a bit better and learn what really goes down on your Explorer Chick Adventure.
- Remember How it Feels to Play
- You are NOT Alone
- The Power of Explorer Chick
- What Does an Explorer Chick Look Like?
- We are ALL IN
- We Do Dumb Stuff
- The Explorer Chick Purpose
- The Traveler vs. the Tourist
- 6 Benefits to Booking with a Tour Company
You can always reach us by email with more questions! Info@ExplorerChick.com
To protect your travel investment and your hide, we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. World Nomads is our trusted travel insurance provider. Receive an no-hassle, online quote in less than 2 minutes.
Save $200 with Early Bird Pricing!
See our Discount page for Codes and Expirations!
Non-Refundable Deposit: $200 due at booking to secure your spot