Our Review: Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2 Person Tent
*Disclosure: we independently choose all product recommendations. When you buy from product links in our posts, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This supports our ability to provide the best advice possible.
This is a part of our review series, where we give detailed reviews of all of the gear that we use on our trips. You can see the full list of gear here.
Whenever customers ask us what the best 2 person tent is for backpacking and camping, we always recommend the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL. We love it so much that we use it on our Grand Canyon trip and in Yosemite!
It’s solid but light and a breeze to set up. It’s also surprisingly nifty, which I’ll go over in this review.
If you’ve got any specific questions about the tent, head to over to our Facebook page and send us a message 🙂
Overview: Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL
Perfect for: those outdoor enthusiasts that don’t mind sacrificing a touch of pack weight and room for that added level of camping comfort.
The great outdoors offers a lot of opportunities for outdoor fun, but it can also be trying to be in. Be it the wind, the rain, the snow, or the sun, we may experience harsh environmental conditions while we’re out in the backcountry. a good tent will help you be prepared without weighing you down. For us, that’s the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL.
- HV = High Volume: The Copper Spur HV UL has a ton of leg, headroom, and livable space. Plus, plenty of room for all your gear and hiking necessities too.
- Fabric: The Copper Spur HV UL is manufactured using some of the highest-grade fabrics currently available. For that reason, it is super durable, lightweight, and, of course, water-resistant.
- Great design: This tent has a lot of space to store things, but it is still very compact. It has plenty of storage pockets and even a set of hooks to hang a gear loft – perfect to hang and store extra backpacking equipment.
- Durability: The Copper Spur HV UL can withstand high winds and heavy rain.
- Weight: The UL in Copper Spur’s signifies it’s an ultralight tent, and that’s not far from the truth. Depending on which model you choose, the Copper Spur’s packed weight ranges from 2lb 6oz / 1.08kg to 5lb 11oz / 2.58kg.
- Ventilation: With ample living space, wide pole structure, and large vestibule areas, the Big Agnes Copper Spur allows for plenty of airflow – enough to keep the interior space feeling super fresh and airy even after a hot, sweaty day of hiking.
- Price: Depending on which model you decide on (the UL1, UL2, UL3, or UL4) the Copper Spur HV UL will set you back between $379-650. Although if it’s quality you’re after, expect to pay around that price point for any of the Copper Spur’s equivalent competitors.
- 3 seasons: While some trekkers may not need this tent to stand up to the most extreme elements, others may like this option. If you’re a mountaineer who tackles extremely cold temperatures and heavy winter snows, this tent is probably not for you.
|Model/feature||Copper Spur HV UL1||Copper Spur HV UL2||Copper Spur HV UL3||Copper Spur HV UL4|
|Number of people||1||2||3||4|
|Fast fly weight (without rainfly attachment)||1lb 10oz / 737g||2lb 2oz / 964g||2lb 13oz / 1.28kg||4lb 3oz / 1.89kg|
|Trail weight||2lb 2oz / 964 g||2lb 11oz / 1.22kg||3lb 8oz / 1.59kg||5lb 4oz / 2.38kg|
|Packed weight||2lb 6oz / 1.08kg||3lb 2oz / 1.42kg||3lb 14oz / 1.76kg||5lb 11oz / 2.58kg|
|Packed size||17.5″ x 5.5″ / 44 x 14cm||19.5″ x 6″ / 50 x 15cm||21″ x 6″ / 53 x 15cm||22″ x 7″ / 56 x 18cm|
|Floor area||20 ft² / 1.9 m²||29 ft² / 2.7 m²||41 ft² / 3.8 m²||57 ft² / 5.3 m²|
|Head height||38″ / 97cm||40″ / 102cm||43″ / 110cm||50″ / 127cm|
|Vestibule area||9 ft² / 0.8 m²||9ft² / 9ft² / 0.8 m² / 0.8 m²||9ft² / 9ft² / 0.8 / 0.8 m²||14ft² / 14ft² / 1.3m² / 1.3m²|
|Number of doors||1||2||2||2|
Who the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL Is For
The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL is the perfect tent for backpackers, hikers, and trekkers who are on the hunt for a tent that balances both camp comfort and packed weight. Sure, you’ll have to sacrifice a little bit of extra pack room and carry a bit more weight compared to other ultralight tent options but the added extras and comfortability of the Big Agnes Copper Spur is well worth it; at least it is in our eyes.
Additionally, the Copper Spur also comes in 4 different model options. So whether you’re hiking alone or are sharing backcountry trails with a few hiking pals, Big Agnes’ Copper Spur HV UL is a great option for many different backpacking applications.
Big Agnes Copper Spur Key Features
Alongside the standard features you come to expect from Big Agnes’ various backpacking tent models, details like reflective guylines and extra stability for strong winds and harsh weather conditions, the Big Agnes Copper Spur also has a ton of other great features you may not find in other lightweight tent options.
One of the best features of the Copper Spur is its large awning-style vestibules. These vestibules give campers plenty of room to hold and shelter all their hiking gear while leaving ample room inside for a good night’s sleep. And aside from the UL1, under the tent’s rainfly attachment, all other models feature two large doors that allow campers easy entry and exit from both sides.
As an added bonus, the Copper Spur’s vestibules require no accessory tent poles or tent stakes to set up. All that’s need is the trekking poles you’ve brought along with you.
Large Livable Space
All the Big Agnes ULs are designed with ample living space. With a floor area that ranges from a massive 20 ft² / 1.9 m² – 57 ft² / 5.3 m² and headroom ranging from 38″ / 97cm – 50″ / 127cm, you’re sure to never feel cramped or claustrophobic. This means there’s ample room for your sleeping bag, pillow, and sleeping mat.
Adding even more livable space, the Copper Spur also has a ton of interior storage options that are sure to keep things up and off the floor and stashed nicely away so you have easy and quick access to them. For instance, there are 3 interior mesh pockets, 1 3D bin pocket, and 1 media pocket all located at various head height and hip height locations.
Plus, the 7 DAC superlight aluminum J stakes & 2 awning guylines that are located on the tent’s ceiling can be used to hang camping accessories like lights or torches. These hooks can also be used in conjunction with the Big Agnes triangle gear loft (sold separately) which grants campers even more storage options.
All Copper Spur tents are made from high-quality and lightweight fabrics that are not only super durable but also add extra stability to the tent’s overall structure. The tent body is made from an ultralight double rip-stop mixed denier fabric and polyester mesh.
The fly and floor are made from a silicone treated proprietary ultralight double rip-stop material and mixed with a denier nylon that features a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating to ensure weatherproof protection.
While proprietary tent corner construction with unique TipLok Tent Buckle™ combines to add secure tent pole-tip capture and give the rainfly attachment a secure fit.
In addition, the tent’s seams are all tap-sealed with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape for added durability, the tent body door features a super durable and easily accessed zipper, and the entire tent has discrete seams for extra tear strength.
The Copper Spur tent features pre-bent poles with a broad brow pole section. This pole frame design greatly increases the verticality of the tent’s interior sidewalls and maximizes the tent floor space available to campers. Additionally, the tent’s secure pole tip capture system ensures that the frustration of camp setup is kept to a minimum so you can get on with a well-deserved rest after a long day of backcountry trekking.
The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL also comes with a ton of added extras, including:
- Ultralight plastic clips attach to the tent body and pole frame for a perfect pitch and added stability.
- A quick stash doorkeeper for quick storage of an unzipped door
- Pre-cut guylines make setup super quick and easy.
- A storm flap that protects the vestibule zippers from harsh conditions.
- Velcro tabs connect the rainfly attachment to the pole structure allowing the Copper Spur tent to stand up to the wind gusts and heavy rain.
Is Big Agnes Copper Spur freestanding?
With two pre-bent poles featuring a broad brow pole section, the Big Agnes Copper Spur is more than equipped to work as a freestanding tent. Although if the weather turns and the wind picks up, Big Agnes has included aluminum j-stakes for a strong, taut pitch.
If you’re looking for a tent that’s both lightweight and durable, but also comfortable and spacious, then there’s no doubt the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL should be high on your shopping list.
After extensive testing and backcountry camping in both the Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Park, we can easily say that the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL is one of the best ultralight backpacking tent options currently available to trekkers, hikers, and outdoor enthusiasts.